The historical 47 Ronin story is based on events in 18th century Japan, in which 47 Samurai warriors saw their dishonored master slain by the government (marking them as dishonored “ronin”). The newly unemployed Samurai embarked on a perilous mission of revenge as their last act. They sought to kill the government officials responsible for their shame and unemployment.
Ever since Tuesday, November 4, 2008 angry Republicans have sworn to avenge their stained “honor” which was lost when they saw John McCain lose to Barack Obama. That whole election cycle was traumatic for the retro-Americans who fought that year against both the invading hated woman (Clinton) and hated Black man (Obama) candidates from the Demon Democrats.
The retro-Republicans talked about it as a culture war and they were saving America from both Estrogen and Melanin. This was a campaign to preserve right-wing “Real American” culture (rich & white). And then the worst possible outcome happened. They lost the election to the Black Man. Insanity followed.
That scenario sounds sooooo much like the United States in the 1860s.
Today’s Neo-Confederate (now labeled Republican) Party is fighting to hold onto power and should be taken seriously. Their second loss in 2012 pushed them over the edge. How could a certified White war hero McCain) and a bona fide successful White businessman (Romney) both loose to a Black “Community Organizer”? (That term must be said like a dirty word). They felt compelled by GOD to set things right. There were even rumors that this Black guy was the Biblical Anti-Christ.
Take a big breath.
Back in the 1800s the Confederate spiritual fathers of our modern Republican’s were deadly serious. They launched a military attack on the national government in an attempt to break up the nation they could not rule:
- They did not like the decisions being made in Washington which infringed on their businesses.
- They valued property rights over human rights.
- They made deals with a foreign country (England) to subvert the US government and use English warships to blockade American ports in exchange for crops grown on slave plantations.
- The deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the war were justified because they said their cause was ordained by GOD.
- They saw themselves as heroes seeking to preserve the traditional American values of the Founding Fathers.
- They started questioning the legitimacy of President Obama’s credentials even before he was sworn in.
- They fight for business control and favors in Washington.
- They fight against government spending to help the people hurt by their business allies.
- They attempt to subvert and bypass the office of the Black President by inviting a foreign leader to criticize the President before a Joint Session of Congress.
- They bypass the Black President during a nuclear treaty negotiation and send a letter to the leader of Iran opposing what they think the provisions of treaty will be.
- Their solution to any conflict in the world usually involves US military personnel and equipment made by US contractors which contribute to their campaigns. Their cries for “Boots on the Ground” does not include their own boots, of course.
The so-called Patriots are functionally attempting a Coup. They want the Presidency and the authority it comes with. The cost and misery imposed on common people is not important to them. The commoners are cannon fodder.
The Neo-Confederate Republican Party won’t stop their destructive war until they see one of their own back in the White House. They are not playing party-politics-as-usual. We better take them seriously.
This is not a Gentleman’s Duel.
This is a Street Fight.
Article by Stephen Maddox Sr.